Sunday, July 27

Perth Trip 2

The other part of my Perth trip is to give Evelyn a surprise. I had not told her anything about my upcoming trip, and hopefully that would give her a surprise. But the difficult bit about the whole planning was so that she doesn't know and that I can "ambush" her by finding out if she's at home or not. Finally after careful planning and Boon Choo's idea of finding the place in the daytime before sunsets and you can't see a thing, we planned it on a weekend to say hello. The idea was going to be perfect... when I started calling on her mobile and casually asking her what is she doing, I was about to surprise her when I said I was going to visit a friend which I haven't seen in a long while until her intercom DID NOT work. Guess how frustrated I was. It was all perfect until this moment. So I blabbed out that I was here in Perth. Her face clearly showed that she couldn't believe that I surprised her so well. It is my personal achievement of being able to surprise someone so well too, so I felt good about it, haha. I got to see her apartment that she was going to share with her other housemates and to see her mum too, who was spending her last night with Evelyn before going back to Malaysia the next day. In total, I spent about three nights with Evelyn in Perth. We decided on sightseeing for a day, only to have it pouring cats and dogs. We first went to the Margaret River Chocolate Company, which basically makes real good chocolate...





And then to grab a bottle of wine from a good winery...


Next was going to be a visit to another winery, only to find out that it was closed. Boo hoo


Finally we thought we were not going to make any further progress, so we ended up going back and watching Get Smart. It Mr Bean was hilarious, this could probably go well in hand as "lame-funny". Steve Carrell and Anne Hathaway did quite a splendid job, but overall I find these films don't really sit on my DVD shelf when it comes out. I'm eyeing for other DVDs though... then at night it was a karaoke session with her and her coursemates, Nadia and Arthur, which I haven't seen in person. The last night that we met up was for a nice dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant called Ciao Italia. It had a very nice and warm feel about it. Located just by the corner of some crossroad, it was frequented by locals and people all around, because the food is really, really good! Evelyn and I happen to be there when it was hailing and raining at the same time. It was freezing which didn't make things better as we stood outside the restaurant waiting for our table to come after about 20 minutes. But it was all worth the wait as we sat for dinner and happily talked the whole time. The waiters were very friendly, and one happily showed off his Malay to us by asking "Apa khabar?".




Overall, I was very glad that Evelyn had the time to spend going out with me despite having her lectures and her GP placements and then I came along. I really miss her, and really having a best friend doesn't make you feel lonely, especially being in Frankston alone and wishing you have someone to talk to. I know I'll be seeing her very soon, I just have to be patient.


As for my cousin, I've been so glad that she had actually sponsored a large proportion of this holiday of mine. For that I would be so grateful to her. Even now when I'm back to work, I can feel that the holiday had done me good (although my pay for the second half hasn't been what I wanted, on a tight budget now!!!), I know that I'm in for a busy time for the next few weeks as the oral exam looms ahead. I'm still worried for my aunt's health, and hopefully she'll always be as glowing as she always is. It's the little things like spending time with my nephews and cousins and the different lifestyle in Perth that draws me there. That would definitely be something to think of. We'll see. I loved this holiday. =)

No comments: