Tuesday, May 11

Epiphany?

What do you do when you come back from work, feeling all worked up and annoyed because say, the boss decides to give you a hard time at work; or you feel like you had a "KICK ME" sign stuck on your back the whole day that customers give you a hard time? I know I had to get myself to get out of the house and start running/walking today when I was terribly livid with my boss, only for him to exert his authority on me (you're the employer and I am the boss) to get the anger, the frustration, and most of all the disappointments in people out of my system (turned out to be a fitness challenge at the same time, given that I have not done this in a long time). But what happens when you seem to face this kind of day on a regular basis? Do you just run away from it all all the time, literally? I decided to write this out in the blog to get this out of my head and at the same time revive my very abandoned blog, and if I could sit and rant and rave about my life being a pharmacist where I am, it would be here.

I work in a pharmacy in a little town called Mornington. What I love about working there is that the people are lovely (well for every one that truly is nice to you, there will be one that has to spit venom on you for not doing something trivial like closing one door of the pharmacy before closing time), but most of all the staff who have been absolute gems. My biggest issue working in the pharmacy as we speak, is the boss. I shall call my boss T. T may be the nicest and the loveliest pharmacist to his customers, but he is completely different to his staff, and I am not excepted. Just today I noticed that he left a pile of prescriptions by the computer which I decided I should have a look at and be nosy, given my curiosities earlier in the day. Turns out they were prescriptions that were processed a week ago, and they were left unorganized. I went berserk - Those prescriptions that we treasure as "money" to the pharmacy were in a previous dispatch that had obviously was sent without these prescriptions, and secondly, they were prescriptions that nursing homes required for filling. Had it been me, I would have my head on the chopping block already. And I could even imagine T saying to me "... you gotta be mindful that the claim is worth thousands of dollars, and the scripts are just sitting there..." . Immediately I became annoyed at the fact that because of my boss's lack of competency in this situation, I questioned why the scripts were not filed, and why were they there, and I used back the same phrases on him. T tells me he does not appreciate me saying those things, and blames it on the pharmacy accreditation that he's been busy with. So what, there's double standards now?? For something that I would have had the worse shit from him had I done so, but for him, he was busy doing something else? It's times like these when such situations happen, it triggers a lot of emotions in me, and for once when I thought I had given him a piece of my mind, it backfires. Because at the end of the day, I'm just the damn worker who gets a wage, and T is the boss who earns all the money and doesn't give a shit about you. Which was why I decided that I had to do a bit of running, or some form of exercise to rid myself of this frustration. Truth is, when I came back, I think I still felt the same. The slight difference is that I don't feel that pent up as I would have. So I guess the running helped somewhat. But what happens on a day that I can't walk to the beach or run - say it's raining or I've become paralyzed waist down? I shall decide when the day comes. For now, it's to move on to Step 2: what should I do to get myself out of this pharmacy, and into the same pharmacy with the same workload; but with better management, and a boss who's more competent than T? I foolishly SMSed my ex-preceptor, M, to see if she had any news about vacancies, but there's no reply so far. Chances are her number has changed, or she's probably finding the idea of her ex-trainee looking for her for favours is revolting. I decided on the latter. So for now, I'm still stuck at my pharmacy, having to look at T's face for the next few months until another epiphany comes along and I give myself another shot again at finding another place to work. This is compounded by the fact that Wooi Lynn is having her dilemma of accepting a hospital pharmacist position in Traralgon should she be successful. That would mean a difficult few months in finding another place to live, on my own, once again. Sigh. It really isn't a good day for me. I guess I'm finding myself accustomed to living with a house mate, who is at the same time a friend too. To live alone again, it's all odd now. But it has to be done, and so I have to anticipate it until she comes up with her decision. If only I was half as visionary as she is, I probably wouldn't be in this rut now.

Note to self: know your boss well before taking up the job.

No comments: